The Glass Qumran Mezuzah
#M-3, M-4 1996 glass & brass with a patina finish or chrome finish. Height 18.5cm / 14.5cm, Diameter 2cm Height 10.5cm, Diameter 1.5cm Signed by the artist.
Over two thousand years ago during the Hasmonean dynasty (2nd century B.C.E), the Essenes settled in the ancient city of Qumran in the Judean desert by the Dead Sea. They stored the holy scrolls in cylinder-shaped canisters. During archeological excavations in 1951-1956 the Torah scrolls were found in excellent condition. The top and bottom of the mezuzah cylinder, is made of bronze with a patina finish, or silver plate and is reminiscent of the ancient jars in which the scrolls were found. The cylinder is made of Jerusalem stone or glass and is engraved with the entire text of the Shema, as it is written on the parchment- the outside thus mirroring the inside. The Qumran Mezuzah is a further demonstration of the powerful influence of the Bauhaus principle of “form follows function” on the artist’s work. Each work is signed by the artist.